Friday, April 06, 2012

Via Dolorosa II

The Via Dolorosa was the route that Jesus took on His way to the cross, according to tradition.

It is also a song that was released by Sandi Patti in 1984 (I think).

I've mentioned the Via Dolorosa before, quite a long time ago actually, and if you're interested in the lyrics, you can click there to see the ones I've copied onto the blog. Today, for the Good Friday service, the worship leader sang the song.

Here's a clip of the song. It is rather graphic, so if you would rather not, please do not look at it, but do listen to the words.



I guess it's hard to explain, but it was really intense emotionally, and I am not ashamed to say that I almost cried. It's not just seeing the pain being inflicted on a human, but also knowing that the poor, battered person is my Lord. And considering how slack I've been in my Christian walk, hearing Him say to me through those pain-filled eyes, "Daniel, why have you forsaken me?"

The thing is, that is no accusation. It is a plea for me to return, made possible by that very act of sacrifice He did on the cross. And that is what Good Friday is about, that by suffering, not just the physical part during the crucifixion, but also taking on the sins of the world, and becoming a curse in the sight of God, He freed us from our own curses, and allowed for us to be made clean before God.


Guess it's a little small, but this comic from B.C. by Johnny Hart (or one of his descendents), which quite succinctly explains why Good Friday is good.

Happy Good Friday everyone.

Like a rose, trampled on the ground
You took the fall
And thought of me
Above all

No comments: