Monday, February 01, 2010

Revelation(s)

So I was at the Urawa English Corner earlier today, and we were discussing some questions, which were based on the Bible passage where a paralyzed man was lowered through the roof of a house by his friends so that he could meet Jesus.

At any rate, the group was split up into three smaller groups, and I ended up with one of the ladies, called Izumi. Now, Izumi is really quite a sharp-minded lady, and she's also not afraid to voice out her opinions regarding the Bible stories. But in case you're thinking she's a loud, nasty person, you're wrong. All the ladies at the Urawa English Corner are nice people, and Izumi is no exception. She's quiet and soft-spoken, just that she does share her opinions.

And her English is pretty good, which is kinda awesome.

So anyway, we were discussing some questions, and one of the questions went: "Do you think it is easier to heal the physical body, or to forgive sins?"

The following is a summarized transcript of what happened. Please take into account, that this is really just a common conversation. In no way am I implying or attempting to start a cult or anything of that sort:

Izumi: Hmm... I think both are really difficult to do.
Me: Yeah, I agree... but I think it's harder to forgive sins because I can say it, but I can't really, you know, forgive sins, since only God can really do that, and I don't think I'm God. (of course, I was saying this in an understated sort of way, since quite obviously, I'm clearly not God.)
I: Well, who knows, maybe you are?
Me: ??!! (Thinking ahhh noooo I'm a heretic) No no, I'm quite sure I'm not God...
I: But didn't Jesus just appear suddenly and start doing his work? And since the Jews are still waiting for their Messiah...
Me: Eh.. yeah, but see, before Jesus was born, He knew He was God. Before I was born, I, er, didn't know anything!
I: I see... (looks thoughtful) Is Jesus coming again?
Me: Oh yes He is, but He'll come in a slightly different way... In these stories, Jesus is a gentle, nice person, but when He comes again, He'll come as a conquering king.
I: Is that in the Bible?
Me: Oh yeah. It's in Revelations, the last book of the New Testament..

And so apparently, just by mentioning the 2nd Coming, I have managed to pique Izumi's interests enough to go and read through the book of Revelations.

So here's hoping and praying that this will be a step for her on the way to knowing Christ.

Cheerio!

No comments: